How to Ship to Puerto Rico with ABF Freight
Shipping freight to Puerto Rico
Although Puerto Rico sits over 1,000 miles away from the southern coast of Florida, shipping to the island works similarly to freight transportation within the contiguous U.S. The main difference is that while Puerto Rico is a U.S. territory, special paperwork is required by the U.S. Census Bureau for shipments destined for delivery on the island. Let’s take a look at the information you need to successfully ship your goods to Puerto Rico and how ABF Freight® gets it there.
How Puerto Rico shipping works with ABF Freight
After you call for pickup, we’ll move your freight to a consolidation pointin Jacksonville, Florida, before sailing to the Port of San Juan. We operate an expansive, fully staffed service center in San Juan to provide comprehensive transportation solutions to the entire island. All services available on the mainland are also available in Puerto Rico, including guaranteed and expedited transit, trade show, product launch services, residential and final-mile delivery, and warehousing options. With door-to-door pickup and delivery available across 100 percent of the island, you’ll experience the same quality and timeliness from ABF Freight no matter where you’re shipping to or from.
To make shipping to Puerto Rico easier and faster, you also get:
- Twice-weekly sailings to the island from the mainland
- A Puerto Rico shipping specialist to help you navigate the process, including assistance with documentation and help finding the best solution for your needs
- Benefits of shipping through a Foreign Trade Zone (FTZ) — ABF Freight is the only carrier granted custodial status by the U.S. Customs and Border Protection to offer shipping through an FTZ, which allows for potential savings on duties and taxes
All you need to export your freight to Puerto Rico is a standard bill of lading and a commercial invoice — we’ll take care of the rest. This includes completing an Electronic Export Information (EEI) file and submitting it through the U.S. Census Bureau’s Automated Export System (AES) on your behalf prior to sailing.
EEI and AES information
The EEI replaces the Shipper’s Export Declaration (SED) form and makes the online process fully automated. It’s required for all exports with a declared value of $2,500 or more. The EEI covers details about your shipment that includes:
- The Schedule B number for your freight (available through the S. Census website)
- A description, weight and dimensions for the item(s) being shipped
- The declared value of the shipment
- The name, address and phone number for both the shipper and consignee
- A tax ID (EIN number) or tax-exempt confirmation
- License information and the Export Classification Control Number for shipments (if needed)
ABF Freight handles this process completely for a nominal fee so you don’t get bogged down in paperwork. Once the EEI is completed and filed through the AES, we receive an Internal Transaction Number (ITN), which serves as proof of filing. We’ll retain your EEI information for future shipments so you can ship to Puerto Rico quickly and efficiently, every time.
Start shipping to Puerto Rico
We’re here to help! For shipping rates or general questions about shipping through the port of Puerto Rico, call 888-256-8123 or contact Pam Ferrelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.