What You Need to Know About White Glove Shipping
Adding white glove service to a shipment
Online shopping makes it easy to get everyday items delivered to a home or business, but it can be even more useful for large purchases. When consumers buy items like furniture and equipment in-store, tasks such as finding a big enough vehicle and providing safe transportation become their responsibility — things not everyone wants to handle, especially in large cities where traffic can be difficult to maneuver. And if you add steps like carrying the item on stairs or getting rid of a lot of packaging, it can make in-store purchases even more of a challenge. In these instances, many people turn to e-commerce for solutions that make buying more convenient. If you sell large items online, you can help improve your customers’ experience by working with a carrier that provides white glove shipping services.
What is white glove delivery?
White glove delivery, which includes services like inside delivery, room of choice and dunnage removal, is an ArcBest®final-mile solution designed for heavy or oddly shaped items. We’ll deliver an item into a home or business, place it in the desired location and remove any packaging materials. This added service makes it convenient for your customers to purchase products online — no matter where they are. While they may be responsible for assembly, they won’t have to worry about transportation, handling the order or getting rid of waste.
Every order is different, so there is no set price for white glove shipping. Instead, pricing is based on:
- Location. Pricing depends on where the freight is coming from and going to, and also on the distance between the local distribution center and final destination. Many of our service centers are close to large, metropolitan areas to enhance and speed up the delivery process. This means deliveries near service centers may cost less than deliveries made to locations hours away.
- The area in the home or business. The spot where the product will go also can affect the cost. If the drivers have to navigate multiple flights of stairs, the price likely will increase.
- Product specifications. Rates also are determined based on what the product is, how much it weighs and its shape. If the product requires more labor or time, that could increase the cost as well.
Preparing for white glove deliveries
Planning ahead can help ensure a quick and successful delivery process. Once the freight is ready to go, we’ll contact the customer to schedule a drop off time. Deliveries typically last 30 minutes, so it’s a good idea for them to prepare their home or business before the shipment arrives. You may instruct them to:
- Clear a path. Making sure the pathway leading to the designated area is clear of rugs, cables, cords and other tripping hazards can help prevent accidents. In some cases, it may be necessary for them to remove doors from hinges so large items can pass through easily.
- Clean the area. Moving all objects blocking the spot where the shipment will go enables us to work quicker and more efficiently. To prevent items from getting dirty, it’s also helpful if they vacuum, sweep or mop the flooring.
- Cover the floor. Mud, scuff marks and packaging debris can all damage or stain the flooring. They can avoid these issues by laying down old rugs, plastic stretch wrap or rubber, non-slip pads on the path leading to the designated spot.
- Be present. An adult 18 years or older must be present in order for delivery.
Need white glove shipping services?
To learn more about how ArcBest final mile solutions, including white glove delivery, can enhance your customers’ experience, call 844-291-3819.