What is ground freight shipping?
Ground shipping is an economical way to move freight across the country — either over the road or by rail. It’s also a mode of transportation used with international shipments, where trucks are used to move freight to and from airports and ocean ports. Ground offers competitive advantages including lower rates and more flexibility — with the capacity to move everything from standard palletized shipments to large freight and temperature-sensitive goods. Read on to learn more about how you can utilize ArcBest® ground shipping options to enhance your supply chain.
ArcBest ground transportation services
From retail and pharmaceutical products to oversized freight and cold chain items, ground shipping is a reliable solution for freight of all kinds. Three main ground shipping options are available:
- Full truckload (FTL) shipping is ideal for freight that will fit onto a standard 53-foot trailer. Although dimensions vary, a standard truckload shipment typically consists of 24 or more pallets and weighs between 15,000 and 42,500 pounds. For shipping full truckload over the road, ArcBest offers access to a diverse range of specialized equipment, including dry vans, flatbeds and refrigerated trailers — solving a variety of logistical challenges.
- Less-than-truckload (LTL) freight is used for freight that is larger than a parcel, but not large enough to fill an entire container or trailer. This type of freight often weighs between 150 and 20,000 pounds and travels over the road on smaller pup trailers. LTL shippers, like ArcBest carrier ABF Freight®, usually travel on a strategic routes, consolidating shipments from multiple customers along the way — and lowering your costs in the process.
- Intermodal shipping uses over-the-road and rail transportation to move containers across North America safely and efficiently. This solution is ideal for shippers who need to move freight quickly and with minimal cargo handling.
Specialized ground shipping solutions
In addition to standard ground shipping solutions, ArcBest offers special services that can be combined to meet all of your needs.
- For those in need of guaranteed capacity to move freight along a consistent route, or to supplement an existing equipment and driver pool, dedicated shipping is the solution.
- When you need freight to arrive faster than standard transit time or you have specific delivery requirements, ground expedite is a solution. Through Panther Premium Logistics®, ArcBest offers assured delivery when and where you need it.
- High-value product shipping is designed for moving expensive, sensitive or valuable freight using solutions that include enhanced security, temperature control and final mile.
Learn more about ArcBest ground transportation options
For more details about ArcBest ground shipping solutions, or to discuss your supply chain needs with a logistics expert, call 800-874-2061 or get a freight quote online.