ArcBest Environmental Policy
Sustainability is an important part of ArcBest’s mission to connect and positively impact the world through solving logistics challenges. We realize that our business activities impact the environment, and we have a responsibility to do our part in protecting our planet and its natural resources. In furtherance of that philosophy, we have established this policy to help enable sustainable business practices and encourage a culture of environmental stewardship amongst our directors, officers and employees. We will periodically review and enhance this policy as we progress in our sustainability journey, with the oversight and guidance of the Nominating/Corporate Governance Committee of the ArcBest Board of Directors.
We intend for this policy to align with the United Nations Global Compact’s principles specific to the environment:
- Principle 7: Support a precautionary approach to environmental challenges.
- Principle 8: Undertake initiatives to promote greater environmental responsibility.
- Principle 9: Encourage the development and diffusion of environmentally friendly technologies.
We expect compliance with all national, state and local environmental laws applicable to our business where we operate. Consistent with the ArcBest Code of Conduct, all persons to whom this policy applies shall act in accordance with all environmental laws, rules and regulations applying to the operations at the locations in which they operate.
We are striving to improve energy and fuel efficiencies and to promote the responsible consumption of resources. Additionally, we are committed to identifying and implementing equipment efficiencies and process improvements to reduce our greenhouse gas and air pollutant emissions, wastewater releases and waste generation.
Monitoring & Reporting
We actively monitor our environmental performance, such as energy consumption and Greenhouse Gas emissions. We are also committed to reporting our progress on environmental measures on at least an annual basis.
Our vendors, suppliers and service providers (“Suppliers”) are a critical component of our business, and their operations likewise have environmental impact. As set forth in our Supplier Code of Conduct, our Suppliers are expected to:
- Increase efficiency throughout operations to reduce Supplier’s carbon footprint, energy use, water use, wastes and other emissions;
- Work toward improving sustainability, including by implementing an effective system to identify and eliminate potential hazards to the environment;
- Take climate protection appropriately into account in operations, such as by setting climate protection goals; and Strive to conserve resources and protect the environment and surrounding communities.
Environmental stewardship involves connections between our company, employees, suppliers, vendors and the communities in which we operate. We are committed to working alongside our stakeholders on environmental issues to promote a safer and more sustainable company and world.